Well ‘ve started putting a provisional itinerary together and there’s some amazing places and people lined up to visit!
The following are subject to change (and I’ll post more info on them later) but so far I’ll be visiting:
- The H.O.M.E Project, Chicago
- Mercy Housing grandfamily housing, Chicago
- Hope Meadows, Rantoul, Illinois
- Mercy Housing Lakefront for veterans, Danville
- Ecovillage, Ithaca, NY State
- The Treehouse, Easthampton, Mass.
- Griot Village, Grandfamily Housing, Cleveland, Ohio
- PSS/WSF Grandfamily Housing, The Bronx
I’ll also be visiting some experts on all things intergenerational including Professor Matthew Kaplan (Penn State University) and Bridges Together (who wrote the book on how to run a successful intergenerational project).
As I’ve said before, I really want this trip to be of practical use back in the UK so I want to find out as much as possible about how these schemes were conceived, set up, funded, designed, how they run on a day to day basis, what sort of staff input is needed/required, what attracts residents to live there, what do they like about it, what issues arise, how to we ensure safeguarding etc.
If there are any burning questions you’d like me to ask/find out please get in touch via the contact form at the top of the menu!